Sunday, July 3, 2011

Homemade Cream Cheese


Well, our two days of Summer weather was nice. We are back to a gray haze. I have to admit there is something comforting about the blanket of clouds tucked around us, but, I would like that blue sky again soon.

I made cream cheese! :)

For my cooking class we made ricotta cheese, which is very simple. Just simmer milk with buttermilk or a little vinegar until curds form. Drain whey through a cheese cloth or tea towel. The result is a delicious cheese!



On our recent vacation to Sunriver, Justin and I listened to older Splendid Table podcasts. In one Lynne mentions using the ricotta cheese method to create cream cheese, but use higher fat dairy. I had a few extra cups of cream and half and half from my class, so I gave it a whirl.

The results were FABULOUS! The cream cheese is rich, creamy and tangy.
We have been mixing it with fresh herbs and chunky salt for a cracker spread and dipping perfect Hood Strawberries into it.


I am tempted to try some more rugelach with the leftovers, maybe with peaches and almonds? This made a HUGE amount of cream cheese!

Homemade Cream Cheese
1 quart heavy cream
1 quart half and half
2 tablespoons white vinegar (or lemon juice) or a pint of buttermilk
salt

1. In a large sauce pan bring dairy and vinegar to a simmer. When curds start to form (they will be very small chunks), turn off heat and let rest for 20 minutes.
2. Line a strainer with a non-fuzzy towel, pillowcase, or multiple layers of cheese cloth. Place in sink or over a LARGE bowl (if you want to save the whey).
3. Gently pour cheese curds and whey into strainer. Allow to drain for one hour. You may have to twist and squeeze the towel to help the whey drip out.
4. Refridgerate for at least an hour before using.

Other cheese making projects:
Homemade Mozzarella (2008)
Yogurt Cheese (2011)

3 comments:

  1. Seriously Farmer Jo, if you knew how long I've been searching for a homemade cream cheese recipe...well its been a while :) I did a little dance of joy when I saw this post :) THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting - I've done this with milk and vinegar and always felt like "this is a lot like cream cheese but just not as creamy...", but I never went to the next step of "gee, maybe if I added more cream...". I'm totally trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please let me know how it turns out! I have been making it semi regularly and think it is SO much better then the store bought stuff. One day I will attempt a cheese cake from it.

    ReplyDelete